Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Dear Mr. Robinson - Kathryn H.

Dear Mr. Robinson,

I hope you will forgive me for my unusual behavior and strange clothes.
I did not purposefully intend to disrupt your day.
When you told me to leave, I tried.
I really did.

I am always trying to leave to the world where the moon sings my name
and the rich secrets of the earth pulse through my body.

Last evening,
when the sky was smote with pink and purple bruises,
I thought I had found a way to get there.
My war-drum heart shouted:
Home at last!
We found the pulse!
Run to the sun!
So I did.
In the land of truly alive things it does not matter if you are wearing
bedroom slippers and a raincoat.
I realize now that you might have found that strange.

When you found me on your roof I was trying to dissolve sideways.
That's as best as I can figure out how to get there.
Dissolve sideways, the wind said.
We will catch you.
But my atoms would not let me,
and when the world went gray
I was
nothing more
than a silly girl in her bedroom slippers and a raincoat,
trapped on the roof of a stranger.

I wanted to be off of that roof as much as you wanted me off of it, of that I promise you.
I'm sorry for all the fuss you had to go through to get me removed safely.
If we ever find ourselves in the flipped situation,
I will be sure to try and reciprocate.

I am writing this letter because I realize you probably thought I was crazy and
I wanted to clear things up.
If I had succeeded in dissolving sideways, neither of us would be in this
awkward situation.
But I could not dissolve sideways.
I hope you understand.

Sincerely,
Laura

1 comment:

  1. This poemy letter, reminiscent of "A Wrinkle in Time," is all at once whimsical and rooted in thick, almost dark, imagery. The girl depicted in this story is trying to accomplish something beautiful and impossible, but manages only to have an awkward moment with a neighbor. It represents a larger theme of loneliness and the suffering solace of the artistic mind. We love the way the structure informs the meaning of the poem and hope the Inklings readers enjoy unpacking this dense and meaningful work.

    ReplyDelete