Monday, October 19, 2009

"For Your Birthday"- Kathryn H.

I'd like to give
     the sound of rain,
     a fleet of ships,
     a Brio train,
     the smell of grass,
     a diamond ring,
     a wisp of smoke,
     an insect's wing,
     a golden hall
     of feasts and light,
     the cool of day,
     the heat of night,
     a shining star
     to guard your sleep,
     or anything
     as grand and deep
as how I feel when I'm with you--
I'm broke, so verse will have to do.



* Our apologies to Katie, to whom we neglected to give our feedback.  We enjoyed the particularity of this poem; that even though it's written for a specific person, it still is interesting for the general reader. It is light and fun, but gives also a window into the depth of the relationship, which shows restraint and mastery.  

3 comments:

  1. brilliant! I'd like a Brio train as well :)
    Inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martin you beat me to it! I was gonna say the same thing and that I used to own a whole box of Brio train stuff :) Great verse though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I wrote this poem for my brother, who also had a big Brio set when he was little... he'd construct these elaborate systems of overpasses and I'd push the trains along them. Now he's an engineer and I'm an aspiring writer. Cute cute cute!

    ReplyDelete