Monday, October 26, 2009

"Creators" - Megan H.

"The next person I cried for
is that man who used to be
different; that one who prayed
for me," she said like a call
to her mother on Sunday.
"That man over there is next,"
She said again with bigger
gestures, "I've been talking too,
God--I can't sleep anymore."

Curved steam streams poured up from cups
and saucers which glided on
kid-calloused, carafe-shaped hands.
"Decaf, not regular, now,"
said the Matron in reply,
"How's Act IV? Kill off that scum
guy, yet?"
                 "I can't sleep but cry;
I can't breathe but die," six plates
near slipped from her no-break arms,
she read on,"I once was lost,
now found.'" Her play: diff'rent,
and changed from loud first instinct--
those changes from present tense;
drew swipes like bleeding paper
demanding sweat revision.

The Matron broke in, like friends
out to drink coffee, not serve,
"That man over there, you think
he's like your Act IV, you can't
rewrite men, make them Romeo."

Busied to separate tables,
she poured swift hot confidence,
"He's the next person for me,
we made eye contact last round
the next person I cried for,
the one who makes me write poems,
reminds me that I have eyes."

"I have been talking to God,"
she said again, the problems
with change and divine design.
"The next person I cried for
is him!"
      "Why?"
            "Look!"
                  "What?"
                         "Gone."
                               "Good.
good tipper..."
"But he's gone now,"
she sighed, looked and cleaned the glass
waiting for him to return.

I (Katy) love this poem because I feel like I have just wiped the dirt off a window and am watching this little piece of life happen.  The characters feel real and relatable and there is a certain urgency and longing, all of which is created by strong verbage and dialogue.  I also think it shows skill that though this could have turned into a short story, Megan maintains control with a syllabic form and concise, tight images that lead to this beautiful poem.

* Please also check last week's poem by Kathryn H. for a comment from the editors as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment