Wednesday, September 23, 2009

"God is in the Details" - Martin J. (With Commentary)

You killed me with your books
and your scientific looks
silenced me to mute
and added philosophical dilute
to all the things I've done
and all the hearts I've won
you played out my part
and tore out my heart

Although my name is written
in every single line
of this complicated life
you made yourself a shrine

Has your wisdom whizzled you
has your ego become an ism
will you ever learn
that I'm the cure for schism

Where is the love I gave you
what did you do with it all?
Where's the man that was you,
did he make you fall?

Evermore I seek you
but you tend to shy away
from all the things I have to offer
you try to run away
and I don't know what else to do
to get your attention
to break through to you
and show you my affection

Hear my cry of love
and see the stains of blood
see the outstretched arms
of an everloving God




_____________________ 
Martin's poem demonstrates a consistent voice which we found creative
and endearing. Like Josh's poem, Martin used language to his
advantage, creating his own alliteration with "whizzled." His first paragraph is particularly strong, with the punchy first line.  We liked that smart sarcastic tone, and then how that tone slowly morphs into vulnerable sadness by the end of the poem. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the commentary, haven't had much feedback in the past on my writings, so this stimulates to write some more :)

    btw there is also a small (hidden) feature in this poem to which the title refers. Have you noticed? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't noticed!!! Now I do, but I'll leave it a secret :)

    ReplyDelete